Marc with a C - Unicorns Get More Bacon

This song is one of my favorite new discoveries.    Being an amateur musician I just can´t help but love the lyrics.    Usually I don´t get down and dirty into the meaning of the song but there seems to be some confusion and so I would like to offer my interpretation.    In the end your own personal conception of a song is a very subjective thing and personally I identify songs with my emotions, points of time in my life, people, etc.     So here is the link to listen to the song on Bandcamp and following are my thoughts on what the song is all about (to me). 



Marc with a C - Unicorns Get More Bacon

First off, here are the lyrics:

UNICORNS GET MORE BACON

Hello, it´s nice to be here
I´ve been pacing backstage
It´s actually a line there is no backstage
But I made up these songs
And I chose to play them here
I can only hope you like them
How am I doing so far?

You see my songs are like my kids
I have a fuck-ton of them
And some are kind of good, others are just assholes
Used to clap and cheer when people would sing up here
And I´m not content to do this while you look at your cellphone

I said an artist needs a patron
And unicorns get more bacon
But they cheer the loudest for what I like least
So I thought it would be fun
To get you on my side upon
And what I need to know is
Are you with me?

Well it´s still good to be here
No matter your response
At this point in my career
I´m surprised there´s an audience
And you all look really nice
Have you been working out?
I just sang that like a Canadian
What was that about?

Now a little about me
I made records and cd´s
I have a wife, a dog, a daughter and two bunnies
And did I mention that I´m happy to be here?
Well I´m totally not pandering
And we´re gonna get this started but first some honesty

Chorus

Now it´s time for the bridge
So here is the bridge
It´s a pretty good bridge
Don´t ya think?

And now it´s time for the third verse
They say it´s the most important
I don´t subscribe to that theory but hey let´s try one

I´m out of ideas but I think you get the point
Thank you for your time
I hope you´re enjoyed it

Chorus

So this song is actually a stream of consiousness account of the musician presenting his song.   I believe the verses are pretty self explanatory.   However, I saw a comment saying that they didn´t understand about the unicorn and the bacon.   If you look at the cover art for this song you see a little unicorn being showered with money.    So, of course, I assume he is saying that being rare and unique like a unicorn can get you a lot of money.  However, he also says "they cheer the loudest for what I like least" which I believe refers to the fact that many times a musician´s most popular songs are not his or her favorite songs.  Many times these songs become a bit of a drag to perform over and over and to have fans always wanting to hear the hits and not seem to care about the rest of the musician´s work.    Billy Corgan mentioned this in an interview with Joe Rogan  and there are many lists of artists that hate their own songs on YouTube.   I wonder how much trouble they have cashing those royalty songs.   Anyway, this is my take on Unicorns Get More Bacon.

I encourage you to check out Marc with a C on Bandcamp.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All My SHT (As of July 2023)

All My SHT (As of May 2021)

Our Bog Is Dood - by SHT Musik