The Cardigans - Gran Turismo

I think I ended up getting this album through the old BMI music club.   I had heard the single My Favorite Game and was hoping for more catchy songs like that one.    I was pleasantly surprised to find out that not only were there more catchy songs on the album but also that they were nice and dark, just the way I like them. 

The Cardigans are from Sweden and the album came out in 1998.   This album is different than their other stuff  in that it has a much more electronic sound.   One of my favorite songs on the album is a classic anti-love song, Do You Believe.   Here is a short sample of the lyrics.  

Do you really think
That love is gonna save the world?
Well, I don't think so


Yup, that´s my kind of song.  

DO YOU BELIEVE


The next song that I would like to recommend it Erase/Rewind.   I like the fact that it refers to outdated media that I grew up with.   I still say "tape something" when I mean to record it.  Old habits do die hard.   Anyway,    here are some lyrics from the song:

I've changed my mind
I take it back
Erase and rewind
'Cause I've been changing my mind
I've changed my mind

Yes, again it looks like it´s not the happiest of stories.    Things haven´t worked out the way they were supposed to so it´s time to tape up the tabs  and start again.   If you didn´t grow up with cassettes you probably won´t understand this expression.

ERASE / REWIND

 

The last of my favorite songs from Gran Turismo is Explode.   A little sample of the lyrics:

And you rely on
what you get high on
and you last just as long as it serves you

Explode or implode
explode or implode

For some reason this idea of feeling like I´m going to explode or implode resonates with me.   Sometimes the feelings inside that want to come out seem overwhelming and sometimes it is the other way around and outside pressure feels like it might crush me.   

EXPLODE


As always, if you know of any other songs from this group that you think are interesting please leave a comment.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All My SHT (As of July 2023)

All My SHT (As of May 2021)

Our Bog Is Dood - by SHT Musik